Muscle of The Week... Latissimus Dorsi

Hi There

For the brain and body to talk to one another. They need to speak the same language.  For this to happen we need to be conscious  of where the movement originates and what needs to be done. During my time with clients and athletes I have realized that most of them have little to none body awareness. 

Now let me be clear. You do not need to understand or have in- depth knowledge to have good body awareness, but it helps tremendously when you at least know where the muscle is and how it works. 

So during this series I am going to try and keep it simple. I will provide you with what I deem credible sources that I use/d during my studies and ongoing quest to fully understand movement.

Muscles Of The Week... Latissimus Dorsi.

This is the second largest Muscle in the body. This is the most superficial muscle on the back.It also plays a role during breathing.  

KenHub explains the Latissimus Dorsi as follows": The Latissimus Dorsi supports various different movements of the shoulder.The muscle's contraction leads to an inward rotation of the humerus, it also pulls the humerus towards the trunk and behind.When the humerus is fixed, the contraction of the Latissimus Dorsi leads to two different movements of the trunk: elevation and moves trunk anteriorly. It also helps with flexion of the trunk.The Latissimus Dorsi also plays a big role in support during breathing. The activation of it on both sides causes compression of the rib cage, facilitating expiration. " 

Follow link for a video for the anatomy.

I have found an awesome video follow this link it is awesome and fun! Let me know what you think!

Keep Moving until next time👋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Personal... Training Hard

Do not... I repeat... DO NOT get overwhelmed!!

Do I need a Personal Trainer?