Muscle Of The Week:... Trapezius

Hi There

I am starting a new series. I want people to learn more about the body and how it works. I talk about the brain and body needing to learn to talk to one another. They need to speak the same language. During my time with clients and athletes I have realized that most of them have little to none body awareness. 
Now let me be clear. You do not need to understand or have in- depth knowledge to have good body awareness, but it helps tremendously when you at least know where the muscle is and how it works. 
So during this series I am going to try and keep it simple. I will provide you with what I deem credible sources that I use/d during my studies and ongoing quest to fully understand movement.

This week's muscle is the Trapezius Muscle.

I believe this is one of the muscles a lot of people do not understand and causes a lot of discomfort. This is what I call the stress muscle, because it seems this is where we carry our tension. Our work environments and how we are in a hunched over posture most of the time cause a lot of tension in this muscle. 

KenHub explains the Trapezius as follows":The Trapezius stabilizes and secures the shoulder blade at the thorax and fulfills numerous tasks. It moves the shoulder blade medially and rotates it outward. The descending part causes elevation of the scapula (shoulder blade) while the ascending part depresses the bone. A unilateral contraction bends the head to the ipsilateral (lateral flexion) whereas a bilateral contraction raises the head and cervical vertebral column also known as dorsal flexion." Follow link for the video.

Before I go... KenHub is a great source to study anatomy!!

Keep Moving until next time👋




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Personal... Training Hard

Do not... I repeat... DO NOT get overwhelmed!!

Do I need a Personal Trainer?