Muscle Of The Week... Biceps Femoris

Hi There

This week's muscle is part of the Hammy Group.Affectionately known as the Hammys. But let me be clear. The Hammys are THREE SEPARATE muscles of which one is this week's muscle... The Biceps Femoris.By the name we know it has two "heads" or origins like last week's muscle: The Biceps Brachii .

I have to make a confession...I confused the Biceps Femoris with the Rectus Femoris; which is actually part of the Quads🙈🙊. That is why I love this series. It is a great way to review my anatomy. In a way that does not feel like studying. I mean I used to hate to study Anatomy... Especially because to understand it the best you also need to understand a part of physiology. But you have to study this in parts not as a whole.Which makes it hard, because I am a the whole picture person... Anyway, in my line of work we need to know our Anatomy and the functions there of; but the way we move and how we have adapted causes that some muscle are brought to the fore more than others. That said we use ALL our muscles! 

Anyway on to the this week's Muscle

Biceps Femoris  

I have found a beautiful video explaining the muscle please click here to see it. 

Common Injuries
The Biceps Femoris muscle is the one that mostly gets injured. From a strain to a tear to the worst injury rupture. Injury usually occurs when we "push off" into a sprint.   
Because of it where the Biceps Brachii has two origins and both pulls the arm in different ways/directions. It can play a role in rotator cuff injuries. These injuries can be any restriction the the 360° movement of the shoulder.It also can be any of the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint. 
Another common Injury can be Biceps Tendonitis - Which is the FANCY word for inflammation in the tendon. This can happen by a serious bump on the muscle but more likely restriction of movement or friction within the muscle.
Te worst injury for this muscle can be a rupture which is the tearing of the muscle and that is cause by excessive force and even overuse or lack of tending to the muscle soreness. 







Please follow the links to see my sources. I want to give credit to all of them.

Did you know the Hammys was more than one muscle? 

Keep Moving until next time👋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Personal... Training Hard

Do not... I repeat... DO NOT get overwhelmed!!

Do I need a Personal Trainer?