What I Believe About.... Sport Science 💞

Hi There

Welcome to the #BeliefSeries! This is where I share my core beliefs about certain topics. You are welcome to comment and leave a topic to be discussed. The #Belief Series  features Tuesdays and Thursday! Onward to today's topic... Sport Science.

I love Sport Science. I love the fact that there is a science behind gaining better performance. There is a knowledge much greater than just the "dumb jock" building muscle to look good or just be eye candy for those who do not understand the sport!!! What I even love more about my field is that we still do not understand half of what has been published, researched and still being studied. To be honest I don't think we will ever understand movement in its full capacity and I think it is ok. We do not need to. If we do I think some of our wonder and amazement will disappear. I also believe that we as humans move consciously. We can think about and adapt our movement in a pattern that took conscious thought!! We do not just move for survival, we move for pleasure.This is awe inspiring. This is where we see the athlete working on technique and where skill comes in. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Sport Scientist are the backstage crew of the athletes. We are not usually seen when our athletes perform, but we are always in the background. I sometimes get the impression what we do gets swept underneath the rug. We are up at 4 am with the training athlete. We are with them every session, pushing them, sometimes holding them back, always trying to protect them against injury. Not everyone knows our role in the athletes road to success and this saddens me. We struggle to keep the field alive in practice. Academically we are quite strong, but not all of us want to study scenarios where we can improve movement safety etc. We want to use movement and practically study it in the field. 
   
As a Sport Scientist I might be a bit bias towards my field, but I absolutely love it and love seeing my athletes work hard and improve above measures. I also believe that no matter what we find in our studies of movement resilience is what makes any athlete great!!! Resilience is what separates the winner from the amateur.
  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Personal... Training Hard

Do not... I repeat... DO NOT get overwhelmed!!

Do I need a Personal Trainer?